Check out the Grand Champion of the 2020 BBQ Battle Chiles Cridlin’s Ribs Recipe.
Ribs: Two racks of Smithfield Spare ribs trimmed St Louis Style and membrane removed.
Injection:16 ounces Deer Park bottled water,2 TBSP Make It Meaty phosphate blend
Rub: Heath Riles Honey Rub
Sauce: The BBQ Super Store’s “Judgement Day”
- The day before you cook. Mix and blend your injection ingredients and put them into the refrigerator to chill. Never inject ribs with warm injection.
- With an injector, inject as much as the ribs will take in between each bone. Place in a pan, cover tightly and return to the refrigerator overnight, we like 12 hours but at a minimum of 4 hours.
- On the day of the cook. Remove the ribs from the refrigerator, wipe off any excess injection liquid in preparation for the rub. Take ¼ cup Deer Park Water and ½ cup French’s Mustard and mix together.Lightly apply a slathering of this on the front and back of each rack of ribs. Apply a generous amount of rub on both the front and back of each rack of ribs.
- Let the rub sweat in by allowing the ribs rest on the counter while you light your smoker and prepare for cooking, no more than 2 hours please.
- Light your smoker using Royal Oak Natural Lump charcoal and a few pieces of applewood for color and flavor. Allow your smoker to get up to temp and have the smoke running clean. Set your target temp275degrees and place the ribs in the center of the smoker. Spritz lightly with “I Cannot Believe It’s NotButter” after the first hour, and rotate the ribs if you notice one side is getting more color than the other.
- After about 2hours, wrap each rack of ribs with aluminum foil and add ½ cup of Judgement Day sauce mixed with equal parts water. Place them back in the smoker and let them cook for until the ribs reach210degrees. Check this by probing through the foil but do not open them up!
- Once cooked, remove from the smoker and allow to rest in wrapped in a towel. Remove the ribs from the foil and sauce, return to the smoker to set the sauce for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut and serve!