Check out the Grand Champion of the 2020 BBQ Battle Chiles Cridlin’s BBQ Turkey Recipe.
Turkey: Frozen bone-in whole 6 to 8lb turkey breast.
Injection: 16ouncesDeer Park bottled water, one cube KNORR Chicken Bouillon, 2 TBSP Make It Meaty phosphate blend, ¼ cup DUKES Mayonnaise.
Rub: Heath Riles HoneyRub
- The day before you cook. Mix and blend your injection ingredients and put them into the refrigerator to chill. Never inject a cold turkey with a warm injection.
- Thaw your frozen turkey breast in the refrigerator, it may take a few days to thaw completely. Using an injector, inject the turkey breast through the packaging in a grid-like pattern to get as much of the 16 ounces of injection evenly distributed as you can. Place in a pan and return to the refrigerator overnight, we like 12 hours but at a minimum of 4 hours. Do not open or remove from the original packaging.
- On the day of the cook. Remove the breast from the refrigerator and packaging, wipe off any excess injection liquid in preparation for the rub. Evenly coat the inside and outside of the breast with a generous coat of Heath Riles Honey Rub. Place the breast bone cavity side down on a rack in a disposable half pan and pour about 1/4 “ of water in the bottom of the pan.
- Let the rubs sweat in by allowing the breast rest on the counter while you light your smoker and prepare for cooking, no more than 2 hours, please.
- Light your smoker using Royal Oak Natural Lump charcoal and a few pieces of applewood for color and flavor. Allow your smoker to get up to temp and have the smoke running clean. Set your target temp300degrees and place the turkey breast in the center of the smoker. Spritz lightly with “I Cannot Believe It’s Not Butter” every hour, and rotate the breast if you notice one side is getting more color than the other.
- After about 3.5 hours, when the center of the breast is 165 degrees, remove from the smoker and tent with aluminum foil. Allow the breast to rest 30 minutes before slicing